Lager Than Life
Thank you for your interest in the Lager Than Life organized by, and Pillars Brewery, Walthamstow, London.
You only need to register your information once and can return to this site to enter more brews or edit the brews you've entered. You can even pay your entry fees online if you wish.
Thanks and Good Luck To All Who Entered the Lager Than Life!
There are 110 registered entries and 130 registered participants, judges, and stewards.
As of 07:58, there are 0 received and processed entries (this number will update as entries are picked up from drop-off locations and organized for judging).
The Lager Than Life Homebrewing Competition is a BCJP sanctioned competition where your lager beers are assessed by qualified judges against current BJCP 2015 style guidelines. Score sheets and written feedback will be provided for each entry. Certificates and prizes are awarded for Best of Show places.
The competition is open to all lager beers which were fermented using only lager (bottom-fermenting) yeast - those intended to be in the 2015 BJCP Guidelines - lagers, pilsners, bocks etc. Any other beer made with a lager yeast (including those BJCP categories that can be made with a lager or an ale yeast, like Baltic Porter) should be entered in the "other beer" category, and be fully described by the entrant.
If you need some advice on how to brew great lagers, this presentation by Graeme Coates, who is an excellent brewer and a prolific homebrew award winner, should help you understand how to brew a winning lager Graeme's presentation
After judging, remaining portions of the entries will be available for sampling on the 7th March 2020 in the afternoon at Pillars Brewery Taproom. Pillars will also have exciting craft lagers available for purchase on the day. Entrants may bring further examples of their entries to share.
It promises to be a great day where you can sample homebrew and commercial beers, learn from some experts. What's not to like?
Style Guidelines & Eligibility
Eligibility: This competition is open to everyone, worldwide. Competition organizers, staff, judges and stewards may enter the competition. Measures are in place to ensure fair, anonymous, judging. Judges and stewards will not be assigned to categories that they have entered. Entries must have been made at home. Those made in commercial establishments, including brew-on-premise establishments, are not eligible.
Pillars Brewery, London
Saturday 7th March 2020
- Open to entrants/friends from 2PM. Entrants homebrew samples available as soon as judging is complete.
- Best of Show judging session - around 12PM.
- Awards Ceremony - around 4PM
- Register online and pay for all entries - no later than 26th January 2020.
- Delivery of entries to Pillars Brewery in person or by delivery service - to arrive no earlier than 28th February 2020 and no later than 6th March 2020 at 5PM. Due to organisational reasons, we won't be accepting entries on the day of the competition.
Pillars Brewery Drop-off Times:
Every day during the shipping window from 10am to 5pm
Entry Cost & Essentials
Entry fee is £6.50 (plus any PayPal handling fees) per entry.
PayPal handling fees are beyond our control. Paying for multiple entries in the same transaction may be cheaper than many individual transactions.
Competitors are encouraged to come along to the event, sample the entries and share your beers with your friends and fellow competitors.
How to Enter
- Register yourself on this site via the Home page, Enter your beer(s) into the correct category and pay the fee via PayPal using the My Info and Entries Info page of this site. For help selecting a category see the BJCP Style Guidelines 2015. The Judges and organisers will not reclassify entries so please choose styles carefully. E-mail the Competition Organiser if you need guidance. The last date for payment is 26th January, the last date for judge/steward registration and entries edit is 16th February.
- Label each of your beers as per the Bottle Acceptance Rules in the Entry Info page of this site.
- Package your entries and then drop off or ship your entry to the drop off location at Pillars Brewery.
- Drop at, or ship to, the designated site to arrive NO EARLIER than the 28th February 2020 and NO LATER than 6th March 2019 5PM. Due to organisational reasons, we won't be accepting entries on the day of the competition.
- Come along in person on Saturday 7th March 2020 from 2pm to sample beers with your fellow homebrewers and friends.
Style and Award Categories
Styles will be grouped together to form judging flights of similar styles or strengths of beers and to form roughly equal numbers within each category where possible. Beers will be judged against the style guideline under which it was entered. The best beers of each style category within the flight will be judged to obtain the winners of the flight.
The 1st place entry in each grouping will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round.
The competitions are non-profit. Funds from the competition are used to run the competition itself, including food provision for volunteers at the event. A small amount may be used to support the training of judges (for example to purchase off-flavour kits). Everything else is fed back as prizes or used to pay for up-front costs for the next competition. All the organisers and judges volunteer their time freely to support the homebrewing community.
Massive thanks to Alex Allen who prepared our fantastic competition poster!
In the first instance contact Competition Organisers:
Stewart Horne, at email@example.com
Lucas Stolarczyk, at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will only use personal your data for the purposes of running the competition and will delete all personal data 12 months after the competition ends. A list of winners will be available on social media in perpetuity.
Judging Session Locations and Dates
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via Contact.
- Stewart Horne — Competition Organiser
- Lucas Stolarczyk — Competition Organiser
London Amateur Brewers is proud to have the following sponsors for the Lager Than Life.